Articles & Tips
Ready to start walking? Wondering why you should? There are several benefits you will receive from a walking program. To take advantage of these benefits all you have to do is start!
Wear comfortable clothing and protect yourself from the sun. Remember to have fun!
· Reduces anxiety, depression and stress. Walking during work allows you to break up your day and get away from the office. This will allow you to come back focused and energized.
· Boosts your mood and helps you feel more energetic
· Helps you sleep better
· Helps prevent type 2 diabetes. The Diabetes Prevention Program showed that walking 150 minutes per week and losing just 7% of your body weight (12-15 pounds) can reduce your risk of diabetes by 58%
· Strengthens your heart, it can help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
· Allows you to burn off fat without losing muscle which helps reduce your BMI
· Tones your muscles and shape your legs
· Helps you lose unwanted pounds and inches
· Helps increase overall flexibility
· Helps prevent osteoporosis
Tips for walking:
Have a goal in mind: Whether it’s weight loss, to reduce your high cholesterol and blood pressure, a stress relief agent or just because you want to improve your quality of life, set a goal and stick with it.
Make a plan: Schedule a time to walk, plan your route and decide how long you will walk. Set an appointment with yourself and keep it!
Take the stairs: This provides you short bursts of exercise during the day (think of if it as mini interval training throughout your day).
Drink water: Keep your body hydrated, drink before, during and after your workouts.
Get outside: With warmer weather and longer days this is the perfect time to take your walking outside and enjoy nature while getting in a workout.
Use it as a social outlet: Walk with a buddy or with a group, it’s a great way to exercise and reconnect with friends at the same time.
These and other benefits of walking tips can be found at the following links: